Sunday 28 July 2013

BOSS


Boss. If I was to try and say something about Boss that has not already been said,
I would be stuck for words or telling lies. What can one say about the legendary
effects that amateurs and pros love the most? Every guitarist, has a Boss pedal
they love, and I know what it is to love them too, as I have been
using them for almost 30 years now. 

Before I go any further, I would like to start with some of the quirkier Boss pedals that I like,
instead of blasting on about the very popular models that everyone has.

DIGITAL METALIZER MZ-2

A hybrid of analog and digital cutting edge distortion 1987 style!

The mid to late 80s was a funny old time for music. The synth dominated pop music along with sequencing and click clack production. Rock was processed just like food and sterility was creeping in. So what did guitar gods need? I'll tell you. Digital Processing! From rack mount units to amps the sound was getting 'synth-like' treatment. Step in then, the Boss Digital Metalizer, the distortion that offered 3 modes of 'Doubling' and 2 modes of 'Chorusing' in glorious stereo! The effects are fixed of course, well what do you expect? This pedal is heavy on a 9V battery so power supply is recommended.

The idea was simple: Take an analog distortion circuit and integrate it with digital effects.
Is it any good? Hell yes, the distortion is warm, harmonically rich and it is great fun to mess around with. The Doubling mode gives a great Brian May style effect and the Chorus gives you that Def Leppard stereo chorus rhythm guitar crunch, what more could you want! The downside is that even rolled back to minimum the Drive is still distorted, even though it's slight it's a bit of a bummer as I'd like to hear the pedal's effects clean! Anyway that's a minor quibble and with looks and sounds this good, we're on a Highway to Hell, and no serious pedal collector in their right mind would pass on this seriously cool weapon of mass distortion!

I love the name, the metallic black paintwork and the red text. 
This pedal looks like it was made in hell!

The demonic controls!

Yes, a stereo Boss distortion!

A double deck board sandwich

Where Mr. Analog meets Mr. Digital


VISIT IT ON YOU TUBE!

DIMENSION C DC-2

A chorus that sounds like it's made in heaven!


This is one of the oddest pedals in the Boss catalog looks wise but sound wise one of the best. It is also very sought after by collectors and it's no wonder as it sounds fantastic. In stereo it gives a 3D type effect hence the 'Dimension' in the title and the 'C' which stands for chorus. Now, what do the buttons do? Well as you may have gathered it has four preset modes each of which gets a stronger as the number gets higher. Simple as that. You cannot adjust the sounds but just ask anyone who owns one if that is a negative and they will tell you it matters not as the sounds is so good. The unit was produced from 1985 to 1989 and is analog in it's nature, offering lush, warm and very rounded tones and designed to be used with two amps or a mixer where it really shines. I have every Boss Chorus pedal from the CE-2 to the CE-5 and let me tell you mode 2 on this pedal just makes me weep it sounds so beautiful. These are now expensive on the used market and getting one under €200 is a bit of a challenge, a mint example with box can cost you €350 plus! Is it worth the money? I would have to say yes, once you hear it for real you may get hooked! One another note you are advised to be gentle with the buttons and avoid pressing more than one at once!

The strange looking Boss effect or the 80s in box!

 Take your pick!


VISIT IT ON YOU TUBE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX60zGVeu9k&list=UU5s0pTM1NTM7ngNdtc6L4Cw



BOSS DC-3 DIGITAL DIMENSION
(also known as Digital Space - D)

Produced from 1988 - 1993, this fully digital hybrid chorus achieves a spacious stereo sound with less of the modulation of an ordinary chorus effect. It is a true stereo unit that modulates both signals like the DC-2 before it but it is very different to that effect. Again, it's best when run through two amps or a mixer. Long discontinued they are now sought after by the more discerning guitar players who appreciate the concept and Boss ingenuity. Soundwise, it's pretty subtle and you have to crank the level well past 12 O'Clock to hear it's effect. The effect is slightly metallic and pristine making it a pretty unique unit all the same. When it was discontinued in 1990 it was rebadged Digital Space-D and only sold in Japan.


CE-3 Chorus
This was the first Boss effect I ever bought, kinda! I did buy a used CE-3 in October 1989 but I managed to deface it in 1994 with a can of spray paint! This was it's replacement that I got from a friend! I like this in stereo when recording. I had it on my board for the best part of 20 years but I don't use it now.

DS-1 Distortion
I bought the DS-1 brand new for my 21st birthday in 1990 and it was my one and only distortion for a long time. This pedal has been around the world as I took it with me
travelling in 1997.

HM-2 Heavy Metal
A friend of mine had a HM-2 in the late 80s and even though I'm not the jealous kind I was jealous of this. The black paint and the deep bass tone and growl had me by the klackers!
I bought my own used in December 1991.

CS-3 Compression Sustainer
I was listening to an Adrian Belew album in early 1992 and then I read he used comp on his guitar. I just had to get a taste of the action and in April 1992 I bought the CS-3 and it was on my board always on from then until mid 2016 when I replaced it with a CS-2 and then last year I replaced that with a CS-1 which is the one for me!

DD-3 Digital Delay 
In November 1993 I bought this from a chef that worked in my town. I still have it and it was on my board until 2011 when I replaced it with a DM-3 which suited the country stuff I was getting into. The DD-3 is a classic and amazing for it's time in the mid 80s.

NS-2 Noise Suppressor
I bought this in late 1993 so I could 'complete' my pedal board chain as it uses a send/return and also can power multiple units. It's been on my board almost 25 years turned on making it my longest serving Boss pedal!

BF-2 Flanger
I bought this used at Christmas 1993 as a mate had one and I loved it. It's a beast and lots of fun. It's a pity flangers are out of vogue nowadays.

PH-2 Super Phaser
I bought this baby new in July 1994 and I can say I got a lot of mileage out of it. It's a great pedal with a distinctive sound and 2 modes for piles of phasing fun. 

DS-2 Turbo Distortion
I bought this not long after the phaser and it replaced the DS-1 on my board. I was in a band at this stage and about to buy a Marshall JCM 900 head and cab. This blasted me into orbit with that big amp!

PS-2 Digital Pitch Shifter/Delay
I bought this used from a private seller in December 1994. Well, it's of its time and pretty outdated now but what the hell, I had so much fun with it with my voice sounding like a complete weirdo!

TR-2 Tremolo
I was living in Melbourne when I saw the TR-2, the FZ-2 and the OD-3 in a shop poster celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Boss Pedals in 1997. I bought one the following year, and yes I love it even though it has the volume drop. A very cool and unique pedal.

PSM-5 Power Supply & Master Switch
I found this used in a guitar shop in late 1998 and jumped on it. It's very handy on a spare pedal board for powering units when gigging or recording. This was the last Boss effect I bought in the 90s and it would be almost a decade before I bought another. I fathered a child and Boss was put on the back burner!

BD-2 Blues Driver
The first Boss pedal I bought in over a decade in November 1998 and had I some catching up to do! I remember it coming out in 1995 and I thought it was a funny colour for a Boss OD which were almost always yellow.

SD-1 Super Over Drive
The story behind this one goes like this, I was put on a 3 day week at work for a few weeks and we were given a welfare card. I got €50 for mine and I went to a music shop and asked them what new Boss pedal could I get for that amount? The SD-1 was €49 and I had €1 left over
for food! ;)

CH-1 Super Chorus
I bought this from a friend in late 2008. It's a pretty cool unit and lots of fun. The clarity is great and the warp mode and reverse are really cool.

PH-3 Phase Shifter
This one was pulled from a pawn shop in early 2009 and it being a digital model with stacks of modes at first sound nice but there's something tiring about it. It's now consigned to the shelf.

OS-2 Over Drive/Distortion
This one was also pulled from a pawn shop and most likely an impulse buy. It's a funny one indeed with it's dual circuit. You can get a good Bryan Adams rock sound out of it!

PW-2 Power Driver
I bought this in late 2009 in a guitar shop, the shop that Rory Gallagher bought his Fender Strat from in Cork city. It was mint in the box even though it was used. The PW-2 was a flop but at least it looks awesome!

CH-1 Super Chorus
I bought this in late 2009 in a pawn shop. Again more an impulse buy as I've never really used it. By now I was collecting Boss pedals and anytime I came across one I bought it.

MT-2 Metal Zone
I bought this in late 2009 from a private seller. Why? Oh why? I don't even like it. I even have the box. It's a paperweight now.

OC-3 Super Octave
I bought this in late 2009 in a guitar shop and It's hardly been used. Oops! An impulse buy! It's not bad but I should have chose mose wisely. Well at least I didn't buy an FZ-5!

TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
I treated myself to this late December 2009 and it's a great pedal and always on my board.



CE-2 Chorus
This was also pulled from a pawn shop in June 2010 for €45!!! Yes and it is made in Japan 1993. They must have not checked the internet that day as it would be easily €100 back then!


















No comments:

Post a Comment